The Family

The Family

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Labels

How many people have a sticker on their car or something that lets people know what school you go to or went to. Growing up in a state were you are not required to have a front plate on your car, people always have a plate showing their support for a college. In the great state of Virginia cars have front license plates so the way people usually show support for their college of choice is to have a license plate frame. I have one on my car to support my alma mater. In doing this I feel you place a certain label on your self. Most schools, it is usually a label which may not always be correct. (FSU=party person, Radford=heavy party person) There are certain schools were the label is correct. For an example I graduated from BYU, so most people would put two and two together and realize that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In doing that they would expect me not to be doing certain things, like hanging out at bars or making a run to the liquor store. This label also applies to the student parking stickers that appear on the bottom left of the rear window of a lot of cars in the town I live in. This school prides it self on being “the largest and fastest growing Christian Evangelical University in the world” There have been articles in the newspapers about the code of conduct the students are to live by. So I have a very hard time when the local police are called to a neighbor’s house at 12:30am because the party is getting out of control and the next morning there is a large garage can full of beer cans and other alcohol bottles. Parked in the driveway of this house are 3-4 cars all with the student parking sticker in the bottom left of the rear window. It also drives me up the wall that for the past 2-3 weeks the same white car is parked in front of the house across the street. I know for a fact that there are 3 girls living in that house but the owner of the white car is a male. And you guessed it right, all of the cars (including the white car) have the student parking sticker in bottom left of the rear window. I hate to judge people but something is not right there. It is my understanding that when you go to said school you agree to live by certain rules (like no drinking and boys and girls are not supposed to spend the night together). When you chose not to live by those rules you put a bad light on that school. I hate to judge a school by the actions of a few, but that is all I have to go by. So next time you think of doing something that you know is not right, think of the labels that you have placed on yourself via your cars.

No comments: