The Family

The Family

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Joys of Traveling During The Summer (Part 1)

With my job I am required to travel to job sites to do a site visit every once in a while. I am one of those who likes to travel for work. It allows me to get to see the finished product. Believe me when I say a completed house looks much much better in real life then on a piece of paper. Another perk is that we have some jobs in some nice locations (like Hawaii) One thing I have learned over the years of my traveling is that I run into the most trouble during the summer months. The main reason of course is when the heat builds that usually means thunderstorms which can turn into long delays. On my last trip I did not take the laptop (or portable DVD player), for some strange reason. I always have a book with me (it is usually the only time I read) but I am one of those who must have a quiet area to read. So off course my site visit was done somewhat early and so I had to sit around the airport for about 3 hours. I could have watched one movie during this time and the airport in question had free wifi so I could have surfed the web. I survived that long layover by reading a newspaper which I can read with some noise. The next delay (2 hours) came at my connection, as usually happens (I am so close to being home I can taste it.) This airport also has free wifi so I could have also being on the internet looking at useless information. So what do I do in this case? I find my self a chair and sit and watch. I am an aviation geek so if I can look out the window that is my first choice. This night I was stuck sitting on the floor. This gave me a great chance to people watch. Every time people watch I am amazed at what some people wear. I have seen so many people wearing clothes that are way too small and show way too much skin. It makes me wish for my childhood again. Growing up we did not travel via airplanes that often and when we did we always dressed up, as did most people traveling. It just shows how lazy this world has/is becoming. There is another joy of traveling during the summer but that will have to wait for another time.

No comments: